Monday 20 June 2011

Dear 3am, we have got to stop meeting this way

Insomnia. I didn't understand the concept of this phenomenon until early this morning. Honestly, I'm a girl who loves to sleep. Give me a little teeny space & I will always make a way. I can sleep on trains, planes & automobiles. Actually, I am normally able to catch a few minutes sleep before the plane has even taken off. Some people dread the 24 hour flight to Australia. Me, I love it. Free movies & guiltless hours of sleep! Pretty good deal if you ask me.

But not being able to sleep when you really want to sleep > absolute torture!





Late last night, after an exciting & eventful weekend, my weary little self marched home dreaming of my nice fluffy duvet & freshly washed sheets. At about 11pm I hopped into bed, put on my eye mask and got myself ready to dream the night away. 

Tick-tock.

11:57pm

Tick-tock.

12:34am

Tick-tock.

1:50am

Tick-tock.


3:04am

Finally. Sleep arrived sometime after 3am - only for me to be jolted back into some form of consciousness with the ringing of my 5:53am weekday alarm. Not good. 2 hours and 50 something minutes sleep - oh my, this is going to be one very long day!

Somewhere between midnight & 714 sheep, I decided that trying to visualise sheep jumping over my bed wasn't for me. It just got me thinking more. I mean, where are all these sheep coming from? Where were they going to? Were they landing safely on the other side? W
ere they landing on one another? And was there actually 714 individual sheep or was it the same 10 sheep doing laps? Hmmmm, dangerous territory for me to get my impulsively overactive imagination in to! And now, to add fuel to the fire, I started to worry about the fact that I may have gone completely and utterly mental. Who else starts to give names and accessories to the sheep they are counting? Actually, don't answer that!

This morning, my highly weary self is asking Mr Google about his suggestions should this ever happen again. In the meantime, anyone out there with some good suggestions {other than counting sheep that is} feel free to send them my way! I am concerned what will happen if I have another night like last night. Be scared all you Australians out there. The fact that you are in another time zone means that you are perfect target for a late night, insomniac phone call.

So 3am, we really do need to stop meeting this way. Unless of course I'm in a pair of Jimmy Choos & have a bellini in my hand.

Much love & loads of caffeine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment